Sunday, April 26, 2009

I respect the works of Dibakar Banerjee and Anurag Kashyap. Because their movies respect my intelligence as a viewer. Oye Lucky... for instance was brilliant. I am one of the few who liked No Smoking and wouldn't mind saying it when among friends.
No, this is not a reflection on how discerning a critic I am, or how I am the only one to 'recognize the diamond for what it is' yada yada!...
We have enough people who can sit and "analyze" a movie for ages, insistent on finding korean philosophy in a
ghati bhojpuri flick, unsatisfied if a documentary lacks subtitles and pleasure themselves over Bolivian noir cinema (Gupta, I am looking at you!)

This post is to acknowledge the intensely relieving fact, that there are writers out there, film-makers who make the movies that I like to spend an afternoon watching. And my afternoons are very precious to me. Where are the discussions on
Firaaq, Gulal and Barah Aana? I didn't find Khosla funny, bittersweet more likely...and I felt vindicated when I read an interview of DB saying that he never intended to make that movie a comedy... Anurag Kashyap wrote Satya, boss! These people take a concept, break it down, deconstruct it to its very elements. The screenplay takes you by your balls and twists it around... grabs all your expectations and jumps on them. They discard the bloody predictability and make the final product, a part of their very essence...unafraid, unmoved.

Would love to chat with DB and AK one day...

0 comments:

 

Copyright 2010 What? Nobody made Coffee?!.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.